Skype was one of the great inventions brought us by the Internet and it was something we were expecting to apply to our phones.
Despite in its early days there were a bunch of bugs including an outrageous battery drain, it has been clearly enhanced in the last few years. Now, interface is neater and more user-friendly. Sound and video quality is way better; not excellent though but still over average. Anyway, it's always recommended to use it over WiFi since your data plan could be committed.
Texting has been enhanced too with a bubble-like layout, group chat and push notifications. However, that's not its strongest points. We are missing stickers, more emojis, a more intuitive file sharing and an activity timeline.
Hands down, if calls and video calls is what you need, Skype is still one of the best apps you can install on your device.Tags: how to get bigger text on skype in message?.
Developer's original description available here
Developer's original description available hereSay “hello” to friends and family with an instant message, voice or video call on Skype for free. There’s so much you can do, right from the palm of your hand.
Join over 300 million people every month using Skype
- Get started with Skype on your iPad and find your friends in an instant.
Call friends on Skype
- Enjoy free voice and video calls to anyone else who is on Skype and make HD quality video calls from your iPad 4.
Message friends and send photos in an instant
- Instant message your friends in a flash, add emoticons and even photos.
- Stay in touch with friends and family even when they're busy or offline with unlimited, free video messages.
Call mobiles and landlines
- Add a little Skype Credit to send low-cost SMS messages or call friends on their mobile or landline.
No WiFi? No problem.
- Skype works on 3G* and WiFi – so you can stay in touch, even if you’re out and about.
Chat with anyone, anywhere
- Skype’s available on smartphones, tablets, PCs, Macs and even TVs. Whatever device your friend or family uses, Skype just works. Simple.
Search the app store for other great apps from Skype:
- Skype for iPhone
- Skype WiFi
• iOS 5 or above.
• Send and receive video using front or back camera on iPad 2, iPad 3rd Generation, iPad 4th Generation, iPad Mini.
• Works with any H264 compatible devices, including TVs.