80 Days is something truly new. "Choose-Your-Own-Adventure" doesn't begin to cut it. "Dynamically interactive steampunk fiction adventure" begins to cover the right bases, perhaps.
Based on the eponymous Jules Verne tale, your winding, non-linear story takes place across the span of the entire world. Play as Passepartout, faithful to your master as he attempts to circumnavigate the globe in under 80 days' time. Make constant decisions along the way that will affect your route, what you're carrying, your relationship with your master and others, and what bizarre secrets of the world unfold before you.
There's so much good I could say about 80 Days. It's brilliantly written, and there's no one strategy that's uniformly better than the rest (plus, who's to say taking the long route is necessarily "wrong"?). The silhouetted art is elegant, detailed, and atmospheric, adding just enough visual stimulation to the lush verbal descriptions generated by your decisions.
One incredible feature: although you'll be taking a solo journey, you're able to see a live feed of other players' decisions as they explore the far reaches of Madagascar and Siberia, intriguing you with tales of giant mechanical creations in the more obscure corners of the globe. The joy of exploration is palpable.
80 Days is absolutely appropriate for any players anywhere with a love of exploring sprawling worlds, delightful wordplay, surprise around every corner, and something genuinely new under the sun. Find a nook, settle in for a spell, and don't forget to pack your monocle and playing cards.
The newest update comes with a 30,000 word Arctic expansion! It automatically downloads for anyone who already has the app, and is included with any new downloads for free. Don't forget your mukluks.Tags: 80 days.
Developer's original description available here
Developer's original description available here1872, with a steampunk twist. Phileas Fogg has wagered he can circumnavigate the world in just eighty days.
*** TIME's #1 Game of the Year 2014
*** "We’ve been dreaming about this future for decades. Guess what? It’s here." - New York Times
* #16 in IGN's "best iOS games ever"
* 9/10 Edge Magazine
* "Interactive storytelling as its best" - The Guardian
* #1 iOS game for August on Metacritic
Choose your own route around a 3D globe, travelling by airship, submarine, mechanical camel, steam-train and more, racing other players and a clock that never stops.
* "This brilliant interactive novel re-imagines Phileas Fogg's journey around the world... One of the finest examples of branching narrative yet created." - The Telegraph
* "For people who love high adventures and good writing, 80 Days is a voyage that must be taken" - The Verge
* "A brilliantly paced, memorable and quite frankly terrific piece of modern interactive fiction, that masterfully blends strategy, resource management and adventure" - IndieGames.com
* "one of the best iOS games of the year." - iLounge
150 cities to explore. Detailed research and techno-fantasy combine in an 1872 of tensions, inventions and exploration. Climb the Burmese mountains, trek the Zulu Federation, sail up the Amazon and disappear under the Indian Ocean - but don't fall behind the time!
* "This is modern storytelling that engages and delights, and the bold, stylish artwork gives 80 Days almost a graphic novel feel. Pack your case, armchair Passepartout - adventure awaits!" - Joystiq
* "Is it a game? Is it a story? Both, really. And a delight." - The Telegraph - Best Novels of 2014
* "Could be the best interactive fiction game out there" - 148 Apps
* "A sublime video game to immerse yourself in" - The Examiner
* "One of the most extraordinarily memorable and unique games I’ve played in years" - Pocket Tactics
* "Everything about this game is perfect" - AppAdvice
* "Innovative and extraordinary, and unpredictable fun" - Apps Zoom
* "Rich with ideas, brilliantly written, and creates a world that you'll want to visit over and over again" - PocketGamer (gold award)
Featuring stunning art by Jaume Illustration, a half-million word script by Meg Jayanth, original music by Laurence Chapman, and built using the same inklewriter engine that powers our critically-acclaimed Sorcery! series, 80 DAYS is an interactive adventure created by your choices, on the fly, and is different every time you play.
Playing as Phileas Fogg's loyal valet, Passepartout, you must balance your master's health, your finances, and the time, as you choose your own path from city to city all the way around the world. Bribe your way onto early departures, but don't let yourself go bankrupt or you'll be sleeping rough and begging for aid! Trade items for profit, and collect the equipment for the conditions you'll face: but too much luggage will slow you down...
80 DAYS is a breakneck race, with an in-game clock that never stops running. Trains, steamers, hot-air balloons, boats, camels, horses and more leave and arrive minute by minute.
Every city and journey is narrated via an interactive story where you control every action. Will your choices speed you up - or lead you into disaster? Will you earn Fogg's trust and respect? Will you uncover the secrets and short-cuts that can shave days off your time? Murder, romance, rebellion and intrigue await!
The app is network-connected, with a live feed that shows you the position of all the other players of the game, their routes, triumphs and disasters. You can race to be the fastest - or look ahead to learn the secrets of the world.
Share your own journey with friends, and load other's routes directly into your app so you can race head-to-head.
80 DAYS is a complete experience, with no in-app purchases, and was made by a core team of just four people. If you enjoy it, please leave a rating, and check out our Sorcery! series.